At Oaksey CE Primary school we value Art and Design as an important part of the children’s entitlement to a broad and balanced curriculum. Art and design provides the children with the opportunities to develop and extend knowledge and skills, and to express their individual interests, thoughts and ideas.
Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. A high-quality art education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As our pupils progress, we want them to be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art. They should also become aware of how art reflects and shapes our history, and contributes to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Our curriculum will encourage imagination and creativity; involving children in a range of visual, tactile and sensory experiences, which will enable them to communicate what they see, think and feel through the use of the elements of colour, texture, form and pattern.
Click here for Art & Design Curriculum Offer
Click here for Art & Design Progression of Skills and Knowledge
Click here for Art Progression of Techniques.
As stated in the National Curriculum:
‘Design Technology is an inspiring, practical and rigorous subject.’
‘Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens.’
‘High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.’
In line with the National Curriculum, our Design and Technology curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils have opportunities to:
- Learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems, both as individuals and as part of a team.
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high quality products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
- Select appropriate tools and techniques with increasing accuracy for making a product, whilst following safe procedures.
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others, following the iterative process.
- Reflect on and evaluate present and past design and technology, its uses and its impact.
- Apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world.
Click here for DT Curriculum Offer
Click here for DT Progression of Skills and Knowledge
The school has a specialist music teacher who provides the children opportunities to perform and compose with a variety of instruments. Orchestra is held every week and music performances take place in church and in concerts. Specialist teachers give lessons in strings. woodwind, brass, keyboards and guitar. There is a charge made for these lessons.